- 1847 - 1945 The First Century of Public Higher Education in NYC
- 1946 - 1960 Municipal College Expansion
- 1961 - 1969 Creation of CUNY - Open Admissions Struggle
- 1970 - 1977 Open Admissions - Fiscal Crisis - State Takeover
- 1978 - 1992 Retrenchment - Austerity - Tuition
- 1993 - 1999 End of Remediation and Open Admissions in Senior Colleges
- 2000 - 2010 Centralization of CUNY
- 2010 - Present OWS and Beyond
Welcome To CUNY Digital History Archive
The CUNY Digital History Archive (CDHA) is an open, participatory digital public archive and portal that gives the CUNY community and the broader public online access to a range of materials related to the history of the City University of New York. The CDHA will conduct and collect oral history interviews as well as accept historical materials and records held by individuals whose lives, in diverse ways, have shaped, and been shaped, by CUNY. Faculty, staff, and students have fought to sustain the university so that it lives up to its democratic mission and the CUNY Digital History Archive aims to reflect those efforts.
This project also involves coordination and collaboration with college libraries and archives that house significant historical collections as well as contributions from faculty, staff, students, archivists, librarians, retirees, and alumni. The CUNY Digital History Archive is conducted under the auspices of the American Social History Project/Center for Media and Learning at the CUNY Graduate Center. We are grateful to the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation for providing start-up funding for this project.